About the House
The Juliette Gordon Low House is primarily a Federal-style home built of brick-covered stucco. Elizabeth and James Moore Wayne had the house built in 1821 at the corner of Bull and South Broad (Oglethorpe Avenue today) and one of the prime intersections in Savannah. James, a lawyer and judge, eventually served as a Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
In 1831, William and Sarah Gordon, Juliette’s grandparents, bought the house. William died young, but Sarah lived in the house until her death in 1882. On October 31, 1860, Juliette (Daisy) was born in the house and remained here together with her mother, sisters, grandmother, and enslaved servants during the Civil War until Savannah was occupied by Union forces in December 1864.
Its role as the family seat continued when Daisy’s father bought the house after his mother’s death. Daisy’s family had deep connections to the house and lived close by. As children, she and her cousins played together there regularly and the newly renovated house was the center of Daisy’s marriage activities.
In March 1912, Daisy made the famous phone call to her cousin Nina Pape announcing the founding of the Girl Guides in America (changed to Girl Scouts in 1913). Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) bought the house in 1953 and began its stewardship of the property. A significant financial investment was needed to restore the house and outbuildings for use by Girl Scouts. Over the ensuing six decades, GSUSA has continued to responsibly preserve and restore the nearly 200-year-old building, garnering preservation awards for its efforts.